Reports to the Chief Executive Officer. Remote position, flexible working, initially 20 hours a week, with the opportunity to grow the role into full-time.
Deep Isolation is the first commercial supplier of borehole disposal systems for nuclear waste. Headquartered in Berkeley California, we operate internationally in this $500m market. Founded through a passion for environmental stewardship, scientific ingenuity, and entrepreneurship, Deep Isolation has developed a patented solution using directional drilling and inclusive community engagement to safely isolate waste deep underground.
Deep Isolation is disrupting the nuclear waste disposal industry. We are making rapid progress in an industry that has been largely stagnant for 50 years. Since inception in 2018, Deep Isolation has raised $21M in funding and has signed contracts with several partners and customers.
We are offering an opportunity to join a talented team, in a fast-growing and exciting start-up. The right person can progress rapidly in our company and be part of bringing a game-changing solution to a pressing, unresolved environmental problem. We are looking for someone who is hands-on, hard-working, who can operate in a fast-moving start-up culture that is results driven.
Reporting to the CEO, the General Counsel (GC) will serve as a member of the senior executive team and is responsible for all legal affairs of the Company. The successful candidate will have at least ten (10) years of legal experience with a strong background as a corporate generalist who has handled business law matters, contracts, governance, litigation management, complex transactions (including M&A), intellectual property, ethics and compliance, regulatory issues, government contracting, and government relations. The candidate for this role will work remotely, start as a part-time position, with the opportunity to grow into a full-time role.
Responsibilities and Duties
Responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Serves as the Corporate Secretary of the Company, responsible for all Board actions being documented in the minutes and providing corporate governance guidance to the Board
- Overseas/manages the activities of outside counsel on environmental, IP, HR, regulatory, and litigation matters
- Is responsible for, in coordination with the Human Resources department, enforcing compliance with the Company’s Code of Conduct and ethical business practices
- Acts as a general advisor to the senior executive team and business operations
- Drafts and negotiates corporate contacts related to the day-to-day operations of the company including NDAs, partnership agreements, MOUs, HR agreements, customer contracts, RFPs, Board documents, stock option agreements, cap table management, financing documents, and more
- Acts as the senior risk officer with respect to insurance and claims
- Facilitates and advises on M&A, financings, potential SPAC, strategic partnerships/JVs of acquisitions of the Company
- Reviews regulatory and other government filings with outside counsel
- Outstanding executive leadership and management skills in all aspects of a legal and business environment. Ability to think critically and make clear and well-reasoned decisions; ability to see and handle more than the legal issues of a project; strong, pragmatic business acumen with the ability to recognize the business consequences of legal advice and find creative solutions to complex legal problems.
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, hands-on environment
- Ability to work collaboratively and as a member of a team while empowering business leaders and colleagues and emphasizing accountability
- Unquestioned integrity, credibility and judgment
- The ideal candidate must be willing to “roll up his/her sleeves,” when needed, while being a quick study with the ability to handle complex matters with multiple initiatives going on simultaneously
Education & Experience
- D. from an accredited law school and an excellent academic background
- At least 10 years of legal experience, preferably gained at a top tier law firm and (preferably) as in-house counsel
- Experience in a public company is a plus
- Industry experience in waste management/disposal, oil and gas exploration, or energy is preferable
- Experience working with Boards of Directors and handling governance issues
- Experience with SPACs is a plus
- Experience working in a regulated environment and, preferably, knowledge of environmental law
- Experience with government contracting and working with lobbyists
- Experience handling all manner of complex business transactions and contracts
- Experience handling litigation management, labor and employment, and executive compensation matters
- Experience with management of outside counsel for subject matter expertise such as IP, HR issues, regulatory compliance issues, litigation, international issues/government contracting, executive compensation